Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Creating Wellness Final Project

I. Introduction:
Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically? What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?

Professionals that have developed their own health integrally are better suited to help others reach the same goal. “Their priority must be to assist you to develop an integrated, far reaching approach to your health and life” (Dascher, p. 123, 2006). Healthcare professionals that integrate all areas of health have a better understanding for patient care, and develop a relationship with their patients.
I feel that I am well developed interpersonally and psychologically, but that physically and spiritually I could use more effort to improve.

II. Assessment:
How have you assessed your health in each domain? How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically?

When I began this class, physical and spiritual were the most lacking as well; however, I have taken tremendous strides to improve these areas.

Physically- I would currently rate myself at an 8. I have implemented an exercise program that I have managed to stick to and enjoy. I am more proactive about the foods I choose to eat and the amount of sleep I get each night. Though this still can be improved, I feel that I have already started a great journey on the path to great physical health.
Spiritually- I rate my spiritual health an 8 as well. I have begun to study meditation and other forms of spiritual enlightenment. I take time to do these activities daily and have seen great improvement in my overall spiritual health.
Psychological- I rate myself at a 9 right now. I feel that this is due directly with writing and sharing ideas with others to help ease any psychological distress that I might feel within my life.

III. Goal development:
List at least one goal you have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and Spiritual.

Psychological- I would like to completely end needlessly worrying about things that are outside of the scope of my capabilities. Sometimes it is hard to understand personal limitations, and I become unnecessarily stressed because of this.
Spiritual- I would like to better develop my spiritual side, and make time for things that could be the conduit for this part of my health. I believe that taking daily walks could greatly impact this goal.
Psychological- I would like to continue journaling every day, and keep a written account of all of my daily life to help improve this aspect of my health. I would also like to begin to share these feelings with my finance.

IV. Practices for personal health:
What strategies can you implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical, Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.

Physical- I need to drink more water. I am easily dehydrated because I do not drink unless my body physically tells me I have to drink something. I often feel fatigued and am aware that this is part of the reason. I would also like to continue to exercise every day. The amount of energy I get from this simple change has been phenomenal, and I would like to only improve upon this.
Spiritual- I really need to mediate daily before bed. This is a simple act, but I often find that it is hard to let go of my day to do this properly. I need to create a time for spirituality with my children as well. I think that spending time outside with them can be greatly beneficial for our relationships, as well as our individual spirituality.
Psychological- I often forget that the interpersonal relationships that I have developed can help benefit me psychologically. I need to open up more to those around me and release the self-doubt that I hold onto so tightly. I really enjoy learning and reading about new things and think that taking the time to read for pleasure may also benefit me psychologically to worry far less.

V. Commitment:
How will you assess your progress or lack of progress in the next six months? What strategies can you use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?

Because my birthday is September 26, I think that is a great time to reevaluate all of these areas of my health again. I will continue with the changes that I have made and rely on friends and family as motivation to keep my integral health in the forefront of my mind. Journaling and writing will be important in this process to track my progress and growth in each area and I can use it as an advantage to mark each milestone that I pass in my life. I cannot imagine going back to the way my life was before I began this journey, and I look forward to how much greater my life will become.

Dacher, E. (2006). Integral health: The path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment